Saturday 23 June 2012

Sandwiches and Distractions

So, it is June 23, 2012, time for another blog installment.
“Look, everybody, if you want to lose this weight, if you want to lose this weight and keep it off...then you've got to love yourself each and every day. And you do that by eating right, making exercise a daily part of your life and really taking good care of that body of yours!”: Richard Simmons on his facebook page.
He is absolutely right. Easy solution huh? Why not. It is not easy. Loving your overweight self is almost impossible. You look in the mirror it depresses you, step on the scale it depresses you, hang around slim people, it depresses you. I have discovered something that helps though…distractions, new friends and keeping that nasty sweet stuff the hell out of my house. 

Lets talk about loving yourself for a minute. Richard has preached for over 30 years that if you don’t you will not lose a pound. That theory can be spread to a lot of things in life. My favourite relationship advice is that if you don’t like yourself when you are with a certain person in a relationship, run as fast as you can in the opposite direction. So, what do you do if that relationship is with yourself.  You can’t run from yourself. Or can you? Distractions are the key…healthy ones. An example of an unhealthy distraction that overweight people, at least I am speaking for myself, get into is watching movies at home by yourself. If you are riding a stationary bike or jogging on the spot through the whole movie it is one thing…but who does that? More like, you are sitting in one spot for two hours stuffing your face with candy, popcorn, ice cream and whatever else. Stop that, get out of the house. Get with other people. Being involved in that Godspell production saved me really. I know that sounds dramatic, but I was out of the house three or four nights a week for three solid months. The production involved singing, dancing around, falling, crawling around on the floor. It was exhausting, but exhilarating. And to top it all off, I lost weight. So I am auditioning for more things because I love it. And it is distracting.

They also say people with dogs re healthier. Pets are good therapy…they won’t let you lie in bed or sit around, they make you get up and walk them and feed them and take care of them. Kids do that too of course, but sometimes they require you to actually eventually need therapy.
So I need more distractions. I am working on it.
I am trying to love myself more. I’m thinking it would help if I surrounded myself with people who loved me. Kids don’t count. I need adult people, preferably of the male persuasion.

Let’s talk food for a minute. One of my favourite meals has always been sandwiches…Tuna, ham and swiss, subs. When I was a kid, I got a recipe book of Charlie Brown sandwiches. I loved it. They had weird, but delicious combinations like peanut butter and apple. I tried to find the book online and found a site that disses it, but what do they know? Kids today wouldn’t eat them, but we did. Here is the book and a sample sandwich recipe.



Here is a picture now of my favourite sandwich.


Zero calories. Talk about distractions.

Now the Sandy recipe:

Tuna Bagel
Multigrain bagel toasted, spread with a low fat butter/margerine mix (I like the stuff by Gay Lea which combines canola oil and butter) then fill with a mixture of white albacore tuna packed in water (drain the water), tablespoon light mayo, sliced celery, sliced onion or the dried flakes softened in water, pepper, sprinkle of dill weed. Add iceburg lettuce to the sandwich and serve with a dill pickle. 

Until next time. Enjoy those distractions.


No comments:

Post a Comment